What does self care really look like for moms?
Motherhood is not an easy job.
There is hope mama.
[Please Note: This post may contain affiliate links. This means that Simply Joyful Journey, LLC may receive a small commission if you click through and make a purchase, at no additional cost to you. Please see Disclaimers for more information. Thank you for your support!]
The power of self care for moms
Why Prioritize Self Care as a Mom?
Ditch the Guilt
Yes, this exactly what I want! Where do I start?
What Self Care is Not
True self care is…
The Little Things
What about the bigger things?
You may be thinking – How exactly am I going to fit self care into my busy days?
Here are some more ways you can make time for self care as a busy mom.
The Social Media Time Trap
You can’t and don’t have to do it alone.
Keeping Self Care Simple
Using Your Senses
Meditation for Self Care
4 Types of Self Care
1. Physical Self Care
- Our bodies are meant to move. Just the simple act of going for a walk, stretching, or doing some gentle yoga can be an excellent way to bring movement and physical self care to your day.
- Being a mom can bring aches and pains. We carry children while we are pregnant and for years afterward not to mention all of the other activities we do as moms. Being intentional about how you move your body can make a huge difference in how your body feels.
- Being intentional about the foods that we eat and drink is another important way to take care of yourself.
2. Mental Self Care
Mental self care is an important part of your overall self care. Here are some ideas to help you incorporate mental self care into your self care practice:
- Meditation can be a great way to help to settle your thoughts and calm any anxiety.
- Taking time to shift habits that are no longer serving you mentally is an act of self love. It can also help you to free up time in your day to incorporate more of what you love into your newly found free time.
3. Emotional Self Care
Emotional self care can often be overlooked, but is key to finding your calm as a mom. Our feelings and emotions have messages for us. Taking time to allow yourself to tune into your emotions and listen to the messages they have for you will allow you to address your needs and allow the emotion to be released, so you can live more fully.
- Meditation is an excellent tool to use to help you find stillness and tune into your emotions and intuition.
- Read books that will help you shift your perspectives and further your emotional and spiritual growth.
- Invest in your growth as a woman and a mom, through coaching. Talking with someone in a judgment-free safe space that allows you to go deeper and heal so that you can go forward with joy and be the calm confident mom you have always dreamed of being.
4. Spiritual Self Care
- Take time daily to connect with nature. Going for a walk or gardening are great ways to enjoy the beauty of nature. Even if it just means going outside for a few minutes to feel the warmth of the sunshine on your skin.
- Grounding is a beautiful practice that you may like to incorporate into your self care practice. There are several benefits associated with grounding or earthing.
- If it is challenging to spend quality time outside every day, you may consider bringing nature to you, by choosing some succulents or other plants to place around your home.
- Make meditation a part of your self care so that you can truly tune into yourself at a deeper level.
- Find things to be grateful daily. There is always something to be grateful for. Practicing gratitude can immediately shift your mood and help you to feel like a happier mom.
- Connecting with others is another great way to remember the miracle that is your life and feel the love and presence of another being.
You Can Multitask
- You may enjoy taking walks with or without your kids, use that time to connect with nature, and after your walk take a minute or two to write about your experience in your journal. Note any thoughts or feelings that came up for you. Note the beauty that you experienced on your outing and anything else you are grateful for.
- Or you may need a way to move your body indoors. Doing yoga can be a great physical and mental practice. And you can also spend a few minutes in meditation at the end of your physical practice to bring balance to your practice. Here some yoga videos to help you practice self care in the comfort of your home.